I want to...
- Find out why my monthly payment changes
- Understand warlike service entitlement
- Learn about construction loans
- Learn about multiparty loans/eligible partners
- Understand occupancy requirements
- Understand tier progression
- Read surviving partner fact sheet
- Read the DHOAS Act
- Get details about DSH and DHOS
- Understand how my personal information is managed
Welcome to DHOAS
The Defence Home Ownership Assistance Scheme (DHOAS) assists current and former Australian Defence Force (ADF) members and their families to achieve home ownership. DHOAS is administered by the Department of Veterans' Affairs on behalf of the Department of Defence.
The Scheme is aimed at improving ADF recruitment and retention. The longer you serve in the ADF, the more entitlement you accrue under DHOAS and the longer you can receive assistance.
To be eligible, you must have served on or after 1 July 2008 and completed a qualifying period of service (minimum of 2 years of consecutive Permanent ADF service or a minimum of 4 years of effective Reserve service of at least 20 paid days per financial year). You must have completed enough effective service to accrue a service credit.
You will need to take out a DHOAS home loan and meet the Scheme conditions, including occupancy requirements, to receive the monthly subsidy payments.
Subsidy tiers for 2023-24
|Minimum Permanent service
|Minimum Reserve service
|Subsidised loan amount
|Maximum monthly subsidy*
|Up to $540
|Up to $811
|Up to $1,081
*Estimated monthly subsidy values based on the February 2024 median interest rate. These monthly subsidy values fluctuate based on changes in the median interest rate.